Monthly Archive for August, 2012

PHPUnit – No coverage report

I was trying to get PHPUnit to give me some coverage report for a project I had not worked on for a long time. I had received a github pull request from someone and I wanted to see what the coverage was on the project to see if the submitter had done a good job of covering his code, but I couldn’t get PHPUnit to generate a report that contained any data. All I would get was a couple of empty directory folders pages, which was useless.

I had code coverage work on another project in the same environment I was in, so I was pretty sure that my problem had to do either with how I had setup PHPUnit for that particular project, or that something else was interfering with the report generation.

I tried a couple of things, starting by calling phpunit from the command line using different arguments:

  • –coverage-html report test\symbol_test.php
    • Would generate some report with data in it, good!
  • -c test\phpunit.xml (logging set in phpunit.xml)
    • Would generate an empty report, not good…
  • –coverage-html report -c test\phpunit.xml
    • Would generate an empty report, not good…

So at that point I saw that it was working correctly and that something was definitely wrong with my phpunit.xml configuration file. I went back to the phpunit.de manual, specifically on the configuration page, and tried to figure out my problem.

For code coverage to be included in your report, you have to add a filter, be it a blacklist or a whitelist, but you have to have a filter.

So I quickly added a filter such as

[xml]
<filter>
<whitelist>
<directory>../</directory>
</whitelist>
</filter>
[/xml]

which would whitelist everything that is in the project (my project root is one level above test). Ran phpunit in the test folder and I finally got a report with data!

Categories